Friday, January 15, 2010

Love Letter #2


{I've seen on a few blogs writers who like to post poems/songs that they've written. Because I'm a fiction writer I thought it would be fun to do a love letter series. Disclaimer: The following is fictitious and in no way based on actual life events or people.}

Dear Warren,


I miss you, I miss you, I MISS YOU. I don't know how much longer I can live without you. My life has been one endless nightmare since you left. Boring, lonely. My mother tries to keep me as busy as she can, helping with the war effort, but it can never distract my mind for long. Do you remember back before the war, how much time we used to spend together? Hours everyday, and now I feel as if my body has been sliced right down the middle and I'm missing half.

Everything reminds me of you. When I eat pancakes for breakfast I remember that you loved yours buried in peaches and whipped cream. When I go to the library I read the sort of books that you would read, at church we sing your favorite hymns. I ache for your smile, your dark brown eyes.

I sit on the beach writing this, the very spot where you first kissed me. The ocean was beautiful then, full of colors, and warm. The spray caressed my face, circled around us with the wind.
The ocean feels empty, and dark now. Huge too. There must be millions and billions of miles of water that separate us. If I could swim across them I would.

Sometimes when I'm walking down the street I even think I see you. I'll run toward the boy with curly hair, nearly reaching him until I see that the hair isn't the right color, or the shoulders are too square, or he is too short, and then I know it isn't you.

But I'm proud of you, of what you're doing for our country and the world. Stay safe. Please Warren come back to me safe.

Love Always,
Janie




0 Comments: